USGS - science for a changing world

Kentucky Water Science Center

Welcome to the Kentucky Water Science Center

Michael S. Griffin - Director

The USGS was established by Congress in 1879 to provide the Nation with reliable and impartial information in order to understand the Nation's natural resources. The need for water-resource data and their interpretation has never been greater than it is today. The USGS Kentucky Water Science Center (KY WSC) has successfully helped many of you—our customers—achieve your goals by providing water quantity and quality information, as well as scientific tools and understanding, when and where they are needed by citizens, businesses, and public officials. We are trying hard to continue that tradition and improve upon it wherever possible.

The USGS KY WSC has about 40 employees providing the information used in the management, assessment, and vulnerability analyses of water-supply, water quality, flood hazard, drought, and watershed issues associated with Kentucky’s rich water resources. We have a diverse source of funding with over 35 partners. About 53 percent of our funding is from Federal sources and the other 47 percent is from State and local agencies.

Nationally, we continue to provide information to describe and understand the Earth; minimize loss of life and property from natural disasters; manage water, biological, energy, and mineral resources; and enhance and protect our quality of life. Our goal in Kentucky is to optimize our local capabilities in those technical program areas that are of highest priority to our partners, which are primarily water resources.

In 2011, the Kentucky and Indiana Water Science Centers were combined into one "Commonwealth" The USGS Indiana and Kentucky WSCs work together closely, under one Director, within a “Commonwealth” model. The Indiana-Kentucky WSC Commonwealth is organized with a Deputy Director in each State office who reports to the Director. Technical and support staff in each State report to the Deputy Director. The combined staff of the Commonwealth is approximately 100 employees, which is composed of hydrologists, research hydrologists, hydrologic technicians, biologists, geospatial specialists, management, administration, and information technology support personnel. The USGS Indiana WSC office is located in Indianapolis, Indiana. The USGS Kentucky WSC consists of three offices: Louisville, Kentucky (main office), Murray, Kentucky (field office), and Williamsburg, Kentucky.

We hope that you find the information on our web pages helpful, interesting, and informative. If you have any comments or suggestions for improvement, please contact our Webmaster.

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo USA.gov logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
URL: http://ky.water.usgs.gov/director_message.htm
Page Contact Information: webmaster@ky.water.usgs.gov
Page Last Modified: September 17, 2014